Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hello! This is Dana the Site Admin

I wanted to introduce myself and say hello!  I'm very happy you became a member and I hope we have lots of discussions.

A little about me, I'm from the big state of Texas.  I will be married 42 years this coming March.  I have 3 adult children and 3 teenage granddaughters.  Yikes!

I was born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta, a disease that makes your bones very brittle.  I've had over 30 fractures in life.  Due to a falling accident almost 5 years ago, I'm now a full time wheelchair user.

Since I'm home all the time with not much to do, I decided to create this website and forum in the hopes of connecting persons with disabilities with fellow persons with disabilities and those that are not disabled.  It is my hopes that the site and forum readers will find a sense of connection, support, encouragement, knowledge and so much more here.

Unfortunately, with a new site and forum there's not much content or action.  Bear with us... It'll grow!
I'll be posting some topics / questions here on the forum to hopefully get things going, then I hope ya'll will do the same.

Thank you very much for joining us!

Wishing all of you a great day
Dana

Sheril T., Kay and Lillysw3314 have reacted to this post.
Sheril T.KayLillysw3314

Hi Dana!

It’s very nice to meet you electronically 🙂

Thank you so much for creating this website and forum. It’s great!  We need a place to meet and chat with others who can relate. I think it will be beneficial to a lot of people once it grows and establishes itself.  I’m sure it won’t take long.  I’ll do my best to chime in and create posts.

Off to do my intro.  Bye for now

Sheril

Hello Dana

It's nice to meet you. Can't wait to get to know you.  Thank you for this site, it's a great idea.

Kay

Dana,

My name is Lilly and I am very optimistic about finding a great support network here.  It sounds like you have a big family and that is always nice. I have about 30-35 family members on each side of the family and then my husband's family too.  There is a lot of us, but they are very supportive.  I am sorry you are having to deal with so much so young.  I got out of my wheelchair on December 12th of 2018, which was required due to spinal instability and blackouts caused by my carotid artery being pinched off during certain times and movements.  I had a tough time adapting but it was a much shorter time so I can only imagine how strong of a person you have become after having to deal with that for almost five years now.

I appreciate you creating this network for people like me to be able to connect and create a support group.  Who knows, maybe I'll meet you in person one day when my husband and I go to Texas, as he lived there for a short time and I have always wanted to visit.

Thank you,

Lilly.

SiteAdmin has reacted to this post.
SiteAdmin
Lilly Shaw

Hello Lilly!
So glad that you found us and I'm confident once we get established and grow, we will all be a great support to one another.  Yes, I have a nice sized family.  Wow, it sounds like you have me beat!  I bet it becomes an eventful place to be when all of you are together.  Family IS everything and a very supportive family makes it ten times richer.
Thank you and I'm so glad your wheelchair journey was short term and that it's over with for you.  The reasons for your use of a wheelchair sounds really scary.  That seems like it would be a case of "never knowing what's going to trigger it or when it's going to happen."  I'd be afraid to move.  That's just awful!
Yes, it's been quite an adjustment both mentally and physically but I've got it under control I think.  Every once in a while I get frustrated and weepy about the long term situation I'm in but my philosophy is. "there's millions of other people way worse off than I am."  Therefore, I need to be thankful it's not worse.
I hope it turns into being an uplifting, fun, beneficial network for lots of people.
Yes, hopefully we will be able to meet one of these days and until then, we can get to know more about one another this way!
Thank you again and take care!
Dana

Lillysw3314 has reacted to this post.
Lillysw3314

Dana,
You sound so positive and I try very hard to be that way. I struggle with it as I was previously very negative about my health situation as it seemed it couldn't get any worse when I continued to stop breathing and go to the ER after work or during work days when I worked at the local county jail, but it is improving and I am getting more optimistic about my future slowly with the help of my husband and family!

I hope we get to meet one day. I am currently in Maine actually, but I will be moving to DeLand, Florida when our home is built so if you ever are in either area I'd love to meet up! We also travel a lot, so maybe I will be near to you at some point.

-Lilly

Lilly Shaw