Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I'm preparing myself

I'm trying to prepare myself to be in a caregiver role. I have no doubts I can do it because that's basically what us Moms and Dads have done all through our kids growing up years.  It'll just be different this time.

As some of you may know if you read my intro, my husband has been diagnosed with ALS and I will be his caregiver as long as physically possible. I'll also have the help and support of our kids, extended family and friends.  Thankfully, we're not at that stage yet.

I'm somewhat nervous about it but I know I'll be the best caregiver he can have because I know his likes, dislikes, quirks, moods, and all that. He also believes I'll be the best caregiver for him because he knows he can trust me with all aspects of care and that I only want the best for him emotionally and physically.  I know at one point I'll have to relinquish some of my caregiving duties to someone physically stronger than me, but until then, we are in this together.

If anyone has any caregiving suggestions, tips or pointers, send them my way!  Knowledge is power 🙂

Kay

Kay,

I would say the biggest piece of advice I have is to make sure you have time for yourself because an unhappy or angry caregiver is really challenging to deal with. Whoever you care for should be able to understand you need to focus on your happiness too. Even if it is hard, go grab a beverage or lunch, try to relax, read a book, do something to try and focus on yourself. Maybe even treat yourself to a spa day or do a yoga class to help yourself let go of your stress for even just a little while.

-Lilly

Lilly Shaw