Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Poll: Who's at fault for ugliness and disrespect towards ...

Who's fault is it that some, not all, persons without disabilities treat us (persons with disabilities), with such ugliness, disrespect, etc.?
The schools / No class available
The parents
The crowd they socialize with
No One's / Simply put, they have an ugly spirit

If you'd like to expand upon your vote, you'll need to reply here.
The question was:  Who's fault is it that some, not all, persons without disabilities treat us (persons with disabilities) with such ugliness, disrespect, etc.?

Me being in a nursing home I don’t have to deal with that anymore thank goodness. Everybody is nice here so far. When I was out I had to put up with it a lot because I’m not as smart as others. I say it’s the parents fault because they didn’t teach them manners of being nice to everybody. I don’t mean it in an ugly way towards the parents. Just my opinion

It wouldn't let me pick more than one.

I feel as it could be a combination of them all but I voted for parents because teaching of manners start at home.  Sure later in years they are subjected to peer pressure and such but every parents hope is that they've raised their children to have polite manners with everyone!  Sometimes, that's to no avail.

I'd be embarrassed and ashamed if my child, even if they were an adult, was ugly or disrespectful to anyone.

Sheril,

I think it is a combination of the way they were raised and their personality, as well as their exposure to individuals with disabilities. When people don't know they talk about us like we are not here. I noticed it with my family the other day. My cousin is Autistic and obsesses over things, but his memory is incredible, and he is extremely intelligent. I was playing cards with the rest of the family and he was playing with the crutches that my grandparents have. He likes to pretend he has a broken leg. He talked to me about that, about birds and he whistled so well just like a bird, and I kept talking to him in the third person, which is how he communicates best. For example, can Cody whistle like a bird so Lilly can hear? The rest of my family seemed so annoyed that I entertained him and kept him feeling included even though he was not able to play the game. It was his special day at his grandmother's and we visited so we are invading his time too. My mother was irritated that it was too distracting. I am her disabled child, but she doesn't understand the mindset. Sometimes people talk about him like he isn't going to hear and feel bad. He is a person and has a loving and beautiful personality and soul. It may be frustrating to manage for a long period of time for some people, but this was a few hours. I just don't understand it either. I feel like if people have not been in such tragedy themselves, or heard people talk about them as if they are not sitting right there, they have no clue how much it can bother those of us who struggle daily. I feel like it helps us to understand people's ignorance, so I think this is a great question.

-Lilly

Lilly Shaw